Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hike # 9: Completing Hike #5

This past weekend, my husband and I headed back to McCall.  Saturday was fabulous weather - sunshine, blue skies, big puffy white clouds, and a cool breeze. It was perfect weather to complete the hike I started last month.So off I went - back to Crown Point Trail! This time I even registered - just to make it official and to claim my intent to finish the 2.5 (one way) hike.


This hike also signaled my new awareness of Hiking Etiquette Rule # 6 - Don't hike alone. As I planned the hike, I knew that the trail was well traveled, bordered a lake filled with boats, was about 5 feet wide, was open, and on a Saturday afternoon would probably be packed. Even though it was a low-risk hike, I decided to take along one of my best friends, Ninny.

Hiking with Ninny is a real joy. She is steady and strong. She hikes at my pace. And, she gives me a great sense of security. One time, when Ninny and I walked together in our McCall neighborhood, my dog Charlie was attacked by a very aggressive dog who charged us out of nowhere. That dog had Charlie on his back by the throat in 2 seconds flat. Acting out of instinct, Ninny beat the living daylights out of that aggressive dog. She sent him squealing back to his house and saved Charlie. Now that is a sign of a great hiking buddy!

Ninny and I walked past the .5 mile marker where I had originally had to turn back on Hike # 6. With great joy and determination, we walked to the end of the 2.5 mile trail (which was actually longer) and back to the car for a grand total of 5.70 miles!

I have to say that because I was determined to finish the hike, the walk to the end of the trail was more about speed and accomplishment. Consequently, I missed a lot of interesting sights. On the return trip, I noticed things that I blindly walked by earlier. I saw an occupied Osprey nest, white sandy beaches, a Great Blue Heron fishing along the shore, insect bundles with emerging worms who were working hard to break out of their enclosure, animal tracks, and even a sign that explained the tracks I would notice (if I had paid attention the first part of the hike).

And the butterflies! I loved how they danced around my head and seemed to enjoy my company as much as I enjoyed them. As I made the return trip, I noticed that my pace slowed - which was fine. Hiking is not a race - it is about the journey.

Endomondo Stats:
Duration: 1 hr 52 min
Distance: 5.72 miles
Avg Speed: 3.06 mph
Avg Pace: 19.36 min/mile

No comments:

Post a Comment