Wednesday, May 29, 2013

5 Hiking Etiquette Rules


There comes a time with every activity that you embrace, when you must also embrace the rules - spoken and unspoken. So after a few searches, I synthesized five rules that apply to my situation. I am only a local day hiker, don't own a dog, and don't backpack. However, if I want to be an example to other day hikers, I'd better follow my version of "Miss Manners 5 Hiking Etiquette Rules" for novices.
  1. When taking a break, step to right the side of the trail to allow others to pass by unobstructed. (But don't go too far. You don't want to widen the trail.)
  2. Hikers going downhill yield to those hiking uphill. ( I never knew that).
  3. Stay on the trail and avoid widening. (I was a wanderer... so now I'm better.)
  4. When hiking in a group, hike single file and allow others to pass. (This makes sense.)
  5. When passing, pass on the left and announce yourself "Passing on your left." (For someone who is directionally challenged, I invariably move to the left and cause massive confusion. I think I'll get better with practice.)
Backyard Iris - Lovely!
My family added another rule for me:
6. Don't hike alone. (Good advice!)

1 comment: