Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hike # 7: Boise Foothills

After living in Boise for 20 years, who knew there were so many hiking trails? Apparently everyone but me! I think I may be able to complete my 60 hikes between Boise and McCall. There seems to be enough trails. My Memorial Day hike started with my daughter, son-in-law, and grand-doggie. We headed toward Table Rock and decided to take the Castle Rock trail. It was less crowded and I was unaware that Boise even had a Castle Rock. So we decided to check it out!
Although this hike was short, it did get me huffing and puffing a little with it's elevation change. A daring 400 feet! (I know... but, I'm still an out-of-shape novice.) I have to admit that the sites were worth it. Beautiful blooming cacti....


And a gorgeous view at the top!

Apparently that area is sacred to the Native Americans who once inhabited it. I got my history lesson from a rock...

Just shy of 1 hour, we finished that trail and landed at a beautiful park. But I wanted more... so we headed off  across the parking lot and picked up the Old Pen trail. This trail takes hikers behind Boise's Old Penitentiary. It went straight up, another 400 feet.

Huffing and puffing and moving a little slower this time, we were rewarded with another beautiful view of the Treasure Valley.

We chose to leave the Table Rock trail for another day. So we headed back to the car and had lunch at the Lucky 13. Pizza and beer - what way to end a hike!

Today's Stats:
Distance: 3.20 miles
Duration: 1 hr 45 min
Average Pace: 33 minutes/mile (I told you I was slow..)

No comments:

Post a Comment