Sunday, May 5, 2013

Hike # 4 North Valley Rail Trail - North

Sunday, May 5th was a new day... and a new hiking adventure. Instead of heading "South" on my newly discovered "back yard trail", I chose to head "North".


This time I saw 2 other fellow hikers - a boy on a mountain bike (who almost ran me over), and a lost woman with a German shepherd - gotta love Idaho!


The trail north, took me past the Activity Barn (a Valley County staple of winter activities, including tubing and cross country skiing). This time of year, the Activity Barn is better known for the Sandhill Cranes, Western Mountain Bluebirds, Meadow Larks, and other song birds that inhabit the meadows and creeks that flow through the property. During my hike, I was serenaded by the best song birds in the state!



The trail north paralleled Moonridge Street, which I found very comforting after yesterday's hike! Lovely scenery  non-the-less.



A fun surprise awaited me at the half way point in my hike. Just before I transitioned into the River Ridge Estates, I found this curious site. I decided to open the box and to my delight, I found a "Registry" of  hikers that walked the North Valley Rail Trail! I was so happy to add my name to the list... after all, I am now an official "hiker"!


1 hour and 34 minutes later, I was back at the cabin. Hike # 4 was 4.86 miles, can you believe it? I was stunned, pleased, and felt so refreshed. I think I have found my "thing".

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe that there could be others that have never ventured outside their property line to discover what you are discovering? Wait until you hike up to an alpine lake!

    ReplyDelete