Sunday, June 23, 2013

Hike # 15: And Another Urban Hike

Who is Juanita Cooke? 
And why is there a trail named after her in the middle of Fullerton, CA? 


According to the City of Fullerton's web site, "This greenbelt is named after Juanita Cooke, who served as a city liaison for the Fullerton Recreation Riders. This wide trail promises enjoyment for all trail trekkers."

 It was part of an old railroad spur, so it is wide and flat. It winds through neighborhoods and dead ends at a small lake (which in Idaho we would call a pond). It was filled with "walkers" and hikers (like me), even at 6:30 in the morning. 

This was the second "Urban Hike" I took with my sister. At the beginning of the 5 mile hike, we flew! I felt like a "walker" - averaging 13 min/mile. In the end, it averaged out to 15 min/mile - a real record for me!

Not too much to see, but pepper trees, bougainvillea, and fellow walkers (oops, I mean hikers). The best part of this hike was getting caught up on all of the family, with someone I grew up with and love. Hike #15 was great "sister time". Not that Hike # 14 wasn't. Its just that when you are new at this, hiking on a flat path allows you to have great conversation, even at 15 min/mile!

Final Stats:
Duration: 1 hr 17 min   Distance: 5.05 mile   Avg Speed: 3.89 mph



No comments:

Post a Comment