Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hike # 16: Mall Hike

A "Mall Hike"!
I don't know if such a thing exists, but today, for my 60th, I went on one - a celebratory hike signalling this year's adventure. The weather was drizzly, and overcast - but perfect for the Boise Towne Center Mall Hike.

I met up with my friend, Kim, who greeted me with a bottle of Merlot and a very funny birthday card! We started by taking advantage of the break in the weather, beginning our hike on the perimeter of the mall.

Now, I had always thought of "Mall Walkers" as people who got up early, were all over 60 (hey that's me in another year), wore exercise attire, and walked the inside perimeter of the mall - floor by floor. These fast trekking seniors were quick on their feet, and walked briskly by anyone who stood in their way.

"Mall Hikers", on the other hand, start on the outside of mall... wear exercise clothes, and are equally brisk trekkers. The great thing about a "Mall Hiker" is that they get to experience the changes in elevation that the outside of the mall has to offer.

Kim and I went up and down steps, past Sears, around Penny's, flew by Macy's and 1 mile later we were back where we stared. Then it was time to transition into the "Mall Walker" World! We walked as briskly as any veteran mall walker, dodged and weaved our way through shoppers - first the top floor, then the bottom floor.

By 56 minutes, we had walked (ooops "hiked" - I mean hiked...) 3.29 miles! What a great birthday!

1 comment: