Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hike # 11: Red Tail Trail 71

There is nothing more fun than when a friend calls you and asks "Are we still on for that hike today?"

Wow- Saturday, Sunday, and now it's Monday! 3 hikes in 3 days - guess I'm not as sedentary as I used to be a few short weeks ago...

Hike # 11 started at Red Tail Trail, just north of the Hidden Springs subdivision. In fact, it is part of the Hidden Springs property, on some 12,000 acres. Hundreds of miles of hiking, biking, and running trails. (I'll have to double check that stat  - but it is a lot!) The trails are kept up by a non-profit group called Ridge to Rivers. It is a massive undertaking, but so worth it to all who enjoy hiking in the Boise Foothills. Here is a link to their web site... http://www.ridgetorivers.org/ I am definitely going to spend time on this site locating new hikes to take!


We began at my friend's house, hiking through Hidden Springs, past the school, crossed Dry Creek, and then we crossed the road. I looked up in horror. She assured me that I could do it and that we would take it slow...


And we did take it slow... so slow in fact, that she had time to take a phone call and still outpace me...
The best part of this hike was the companionship in the shared experience of doing something I wasn't sure I could do, and sharing that with the very same person who took me on my first of 60 hikes. The view from the top of this hill was spectacular. The conversation was great. The companionship was bonding.


And... Hike # 11 was a great success!

Endomondo Stats:
Duration: 1 hr 37 min
Distance: 4.58 miles
Avg Speed: 2.83 mph
Avg Pace: 21 min/mile (after all it was uphill!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment