Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thoughts About Turning 60

In two days, I will officially be 60 years old. I read somewhere that 60 was the new 40. All I have to say about that is - balderdash! 60 is 60 no matter how you slice it up, dress it up, die it's hair, apply firming cream, eat right, or exercise. 60 is 60 - plain and simple.

At 60, your body hurts in places that you never thought about before. Your body shape changes. (In my case, my upper half is getting bigger than my lower half - not a good thing by the way.) Your view of politics and human motivation gets more cynical. Your plans are more about retirement than about "the future" as you knew it at 40.  But, I'm turning 60, not 40.

What makes this birthday special is not celebratory parties, once-in-a-lifetime gifts, regression adventures, or any other 60th birthday tradition. What makes this year special for me is that it represents a true change in my being. I am somehow more detached from others and more concerned about meeting my personal goal. It's not that I care less or even do less for others - it is more about how I feel. I'm not so enmeshed, emotionally. More accepting, I'd say.

I don't know if others see it, but inside I am different at 60, than at 40. A little more independent of others. A little more dependent on my ability to make healthy choices. A little more uncertain of my future. (Especially after visiting my parents this last week, watching them age, and knowing what it takes to care for the elderly - emotionally and financially.) I am a lot more determined to not repeat family history! (But privately, I worry that I will...)

Two days before my actual birthday, I have made 15 hikes in 3 months. I am hopeful I can make the remaining 45 hikes, before my next birthday. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment