Monday, June 17, 2013

Hike # 14: Another Urban Hike - Fullerton, CA

On thing about hiking is that people often distinguish a real "hike" from a "walk". I, on the other hand, don't! To me, if you walked it, you hiked it. There shouldn't be any difference. Case in point... Craig Regional Park in Fullerton, CA.


Located in the city where I grew up, Craig Park is a pretty remarkable place for being in Northern Orange County. It is surrounded by Highways, Freeways, malls and subdivisions - lots and lots of houses! 45 years ago, I remember it as an open grass/marshland, where I rescued a Morning Dove with a broken wing (before it was an official park). Returning today, I barely recognized the place. Tucked off the 57 Fwy, with the Brea Mall to the north, you might never know this priceless treasure exists. After flying down from Idaho to come home for a visit, I thought it was a great first place to " hike" (my word, not my sister's). You can read more about it at  http://ocparks.com/parks/ted/history


I met up with my youngest sister at her house and we "hiked" to the park. I have two sisters and they are both younger than me, but Julie is the youngest of group. She was a great walking partner - encouraging, knowledgeable, a good conversationalist, friendly as all get-out to the people we passed, cute, thin, physically fit, aging nicely, has the "hiking" speed of a cheetah ... ok, so I'm a little jealous! She invited me to take a "walk". I called it a "hike". I earned it as a "hike". Yes... it was definitely a "hike" in my book!



This park had it all - walking paths, changes in elevations (that just about put me in the dirt), nature, and on a Monday morning at 8:30 AM - relatively few people. Once around the park and my sister asked me if I wanted "walk"  it again... I was out of breath, exhausted, and ready to head home. "Maybe next year, when I'm in better shape"... we shall see. "And for the record... that WAS a "hike!"

Endomodo Stats
Duration: 1 hr 24 min
Distance: 4.74 miles
Avg Pace: 17 min/ mile
Avg Speed: 3.38 mph


No comments:

Post a Comment