Monday, September 23, 2013

Hike # 26: Ponderosa Park

Lesson learned... don't get an 87 year old woman (who has not exercised since her double hip replacement) over confident about her "hiking" abilities... unless you are willing to meet her challenge! It was Sunday morning and Lilo (my mother-in-law) was raring to go.

"Where are we hiking today?", she asked.

OMG, I thought. Well, I actually had several thoughts, but this is the best I can express at the moment. I wanted to get in one more hike while in McCall, as I am woefully behind. But another Hike # 5?  Now don't get me wrong, I love my mother-in-law. I just wasn't so sure where I could take her.

I started questioning her about assorted necessities like... did she have adequate HIKING shoes?

"These are wonderful shoes," she replied. So I knew I was doomed. Now....where to go?
Hummm... how about Ponderosa State Park? Asphalt. Level roads. And check out her shoes!!! We had to do a hike that was compatible with her shoes! (But hey, doesn't she look darned great for her age! I should be so lucky!... but those shoes...)

Lilo and I started out on solid ground. We made our way to the Public Parking at Ponderosa State park. It was great, and we were the only ones there on a Sunday morning!
Yes, that's my car! The only one in the parking lot! So off we went... lovely view, short walk, and then back to the car. Now what? Well, I remembered Meadow Marsh Trail.


The first time I walked this trail (Hike # 18: Ponderosa Park, Meadow Marsh and Lily Marsh Trail), I saw a family with multiple generations walking the path. The women were attired in saris and  (as a CA girl would call) flip flops. The ages of the family members ranged from  about 3 years to 93 years, by my estimation. So, that is why I thought that  my mother-in-law's "hiking" loafers would be a perfect competitor for the sari ladies' flip flops. That is where we eventually landed: Meadow Marsh Trail. 


I turned on Endomondo and off we went... into the forest. OMG, she couldn't have been happier or more confident! We trespassed over Ponderosa Pine roots, rocks, and pine needle beds... but no matter the challenge, we met it with great GERMAN determination! Huffing, and puffing, and comments like "Don't stop because of me. You have to make your 60 hikes. 1.4 more miles is nothing..." made me wonder if I was doing the right thing.  I anxiously followed behind her... ready to catch a fall. But she was careful, calculating, and confident in her abilities. It really was an inspiration... I want to be so bold at 87 with two new hips~

But the weather was looming and we did choose to take the "road less traveled" shortcut and ended up walking 1.5 miles on this loop, in spite of what the state park map said. 

The lesson of this hike is... no matter your age, German determination matters! Hats off to you Lilo!

1 comment:

  1. That is great Roxanne, keep on hiking! We can still do an alpine lake... the snow in the Mountains will only make then more beautiful! And I got new boots to try out!

    ReplyDelete