Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hike # 22: Beyond The Gate



Along the Payette River, there are a number of lots for sale. This one boasts of 44+ acres with a 3/4 mile stretch of river frontage. I always thought I wanted land by a river. That dream was part of my fantasy life for most of my adult life. What made this hike so tempting was that for the first time in 10 years, this particular gate was open. For as long as we have owned our cabin, this gate normally had a foreboding "Private Property - No Trespassing" sign. Tending toward excessive rule following, I only walked past the closed gate when someone had ripped down the sign. Evidently, in our subdivision there has been a long standing feud between the land owner and the subdivision. Access to the river is considered a "right" in Idaho, and no "Private Property - No Trespassing" sign was going to detour the year round residents- so the sign often went missing. As a seasonal resident, I always stayed out when the sign was up, never venturing very far down the road unless someone chose to protect their property with the other Idaho "right" - guns.

But on September 1st, 2013, the gate was open, the "Private Property - No Trespassing" sign was replaced with a FOR SALE sign. Maybe this would be my dream property? The gate was open, so I decided to patrol the 44+ acres for my daring Hike # 22. I had been to the river, past this gate, maybe twice before in the last ten years. It was always a beautiful and peaceful sight - at least the small part that I was able to view.



The major difference between this hike and my previous visits, was that I was totally alone (with the exception of Ninny), treading on property that was once forbidden, and driven onward by my relentless curiosity about the property. I had a bit of an adrenaline rush for most of the hike. That rush kicked into high gear when I almost tripped over a snake trying to cross my path. From that point on, I keep my eyes on the road instead of the water. Unless taking a picture...


I have to admit that the 3/4 mile of river frontage was fabulous and well worth it! The property had one road, which forked after about a 1/4 mile. I took the right fork, which bordered the river. Once the road ended on the river front, I back tracked and took the left fork. This fork also lead to a dead end, but the walk was not as pleasant. I passed loads of slime covered ponds and felt a sticky humid feeling on my skin, which was only intensified by swatting at biting flies. The bulk of the 44+ acres were swampy, not easily developed, filled with mosquitoes and biting flies. I didn't see any real sign of wild life (except of course the snakes and insects). It was a memory maker and a deal breaker for a return hike - or a dream property.



As I headed back up the road, through the gate, I had spent about 54 minutes exploring most of  that 44+ acre property. It was truly a  mixed blessing, which I was glad that I didn't own. The next day, the gate was locked, the "No Trespassing" sign was up, and I had a sense of satisfaction that I knew what was behind the gate... and that I didn't want it.


No comments:

Post a Comment