Monday, February 17, 2014

Hike # 34: The Rose Garden

Today my daughter (and son-in-law) signed up to run Robie Creek. It is the hardest 1/2 marathon in the Northwest. (http://robiecreek.com/)  I guess their determination and her excitement was contagious. So I asked Heather if she would go with me on a hike today.

In fact, today was a great day for a hike! After the last few weeks of snow and rain, we had an unseasonably warm, sunny, 54 degree day, without wind -  in Boise, Idaho! Fabulous!

She and her dog, Sydney, agreed...and off we went. I was so excited to be walking (hiking) again - that I forgot to take a picture. But you can Google Julia Davis Park to see where went. We started at the Boise Art Museum and entered at the Rose Garden - http://parks.cityofboise.org/parks-locations/parks/julia-davis-park/. Our destination - "The Greenbelt", east.

Although I had never "hiked" that section of the Greenbelt before, I told Heather that we were going for 6 miles. That seemed like a good number - plucked out of the air of my imagination. Since she was training for Robie Creek,  she was all for it. But after the first 1/2 mile, I started having second thoughts. My toes went numb. My hips hurt. My heels had blisters. I wasn't holding up so well. All I can say is...it was looooong winter!

I appears that after gaining 10 pounds since last year... I was packing more weight - which accounts for more problems. Darn... regression is a terrible thing!

So we cut the hike in half. Walked a beautiful 3 miles along the Boise River Greenbelt, in the sunshine. It was a great day, for sure. Canadian Geese were strolling about, walkers and families were everywhere, bikers were passing everyone by - and there we were - mother, daughter and grand-doggie hiking with the best of them. We even saw some para-athletes training with their specially designed wheel chairs - as I said, it was a great day!

But 3 miles presented a problem for me. And my daughter knew some intervention was needed.I guess I need a personal trainer -and who to better help me than my own daughter!

Heather proposed that she design a training routine for me. So whether or not I hike the Alps, I'd be in shape to do so when the time comes. I accepted and gave her my word that I was "really" committed. Every cell in my body screamed - "No... don't do it" - but I have to, if I want to be in physical shape when the opportunity comes. Because obviously today was a wake up call to my "out of shape" body and to my "rebellious/stubborn bad habits" of the mind.

Can't say I'm looking forward to it... but if I keep my eye on the prize, I know it is necessary. Here is my "personal trainer's" suggestion for me this week. We are expecting rain and snow again, so training is for inside and using what I have available until I can find a gym to join.

Monday: Greenbelt - 3 miles. Yeah! We did this!
Tuesday: Treadmill 30 minutes @ incline of 3, plus weight training
Wednesday: Treadmill 30 minutes @ incline of 2.5
Thursday: Treadmill 30 minutes @ incline of 3, plus weight training
Friday: rest day
Saturday: Snowshoe hike in McCall - can hardly wait!
Sunday: rest day

Weight Training - uhgggg - really not looking forward to this...
10 x 3 squats
10 x 3 lunges
10 x 3 bicep curls with 2 pound weights
10 x 3 tricep lift with 2 pound weights
10 x 3 crunches on a ball

Wow, after typing all of that - I realize this is serious. If I seriously want to go... I seriously have to train. Guess it is time to get serious.

6 comments:

  1. You can do it! Well done today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxanne, you can do it! You'll start to see your progress and will feel a great sense of accomplishment, not to mention you'll be in tip-top shape for some good hikes this summer! Hyndman maybe?? :-)

    Don't forget to work in some hip strengthening exercises! Apparently I have weak hips which have contributed to the knee pain I get after running a few miles. They were killing me last weekend after the 8 miles we ran along part of the Robie coarse! Anyway, if your hips were sore after walking a few miles, you may want to work in some hip exercises into your training routine. I can show you some that I learned from the physical therapist.

    P.S. I'm looking forward to snow shoeing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris! You are always a great encourager! I'll take you up on those hip strengthening exercises. They are screaming this morning! I'm ready for another snowshoe hike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job getting out there! After seeing you at the Expo, I can’t believe you put on 10 lbs... NO WAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - my other cheerleader! Thanks Erik! I told Mert that I wasn't claustrophobic, if you had been in the cave before and I went with you as a guide. I'm all in - if you are!

    ReplyDelete