Wednesday, January 8, 2014

This is painful...

It has been a long time since October - the last month that I officially "hiked". I feel like a total failure. Caring for my elderly parents has taken a toll on my emotional, physical, and mental resolve to make my 60 hikes. I have only accomplished 31. I thought that was the tipping point and that somehow I would be motivated beyond circumstance to push through and hike every week. But here it is, January 2014 - 6 months to go before I turn 61 and I have done nothing - not one hike beyond # 31.

I really thought that if I made it past 30 hikes that the momentum would keep me going. But I was wrong. The emotional stress, weather, and general malaise I felt  for the last 3 months have kept me in a stalemate. I can't  move. I can't breathe. I can't hike and that pisses me off. I felt very hopeless until New Year's Eve.

Thank God for New Year's Eve! On New Year's Eve a veil of darkness seemed to lift. I felt more hopeful - not sure why, because the circumstances of things hadn't changed.

Perhaps it started before that, because when I received a Christmas present from my daughter and son in law  offering to take me to Ponderosa Park in McCall for a snow shoeing hike - I felt the "lifting"... an intangible signal that things would change. They pulled beside me, like a runner out of strength and needing some encouragement, to give me a Christmas present of  a hike.

When we set the date, I was committed. January 18 is the date. I am posting this for accountability. I can't back out due to weather, parental emergencies, or other things I can't control. I realized that I need to embrace the Serenity Prayer:
    God, grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    and wisdom to know the difference.

    Guess I am going to try and put this into practice. But I am scared... what if I fail? What if the weather prohibits us from hiking? What if one of my parents die? What if... what if? God this is so hard.

6 comments:

  1. As soon as you get back out there, everything will melt away and you will be recharged; just like the Energizer Bunny! I’m rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement! You are a great cheerleader! I'll let you know how it goes.

      Delete
  2. It is going to be a great hike. I'm sure you will feel energized and refreshed after our weekend. Just let me know how we can help. You have always been a support to me, let me support you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for encouraging me! You are like the stranger from Calgary who ran beside you those 13 miles - the one who helped you and ran beside you. My goodness - she was like an angel. Let's do this! Thanks for helping me over this hump. Love you!

      Delete
  3. You'll still make it to your goal, Roxanne! We'll get things kicked off again with the snowshoeing. If you like it, there's plenty of other trails we could do with showshoes or even just hiking boots in the Boise foothills. If it gets too muddy towards Spring, we can explore some sections of the Greenbelt that you may not have been on. You can do it, and we can help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris! You are the best! I am really looking forward to next weekend - and beyond. I feel like I can do it now, after all of the encouragement. I just have to get started up again! Luckily I have you and Heather to help get me on my feet again!

    ReplyDelete